Practice Areas: Litigation, Land Use and Development, Zoning, Employment, Contract Law, Personal Injury, Tax Title and General Municipal Law
Jennifer Dopazo Gilbert joined the firm as a Partner in 2013. She focuses in the areas of civil litigation, land use development, zoning, construction disputes, licensing, permitting and regulatory matters as well as employment and general municipal law. Prior to joining the firm, Attorney Gilbert was Town Counsel for the Town of Brookline where she was responsible for all aspects of the Town’s legal services and managed a staff of six providing extensive and expert legal advice to all Town Departments, Boards and Committees as well as providing daily advice to Department Heads, Managers and Town officials. She continues to serve as Special Town Counsel to the Town of Brookline on a variety of matters.
Attorney Gilbert has argued cases before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and Appeals Court. She has handled numerous cases in various tribunals across the State including, cases in the Massachusetts trial courts, United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts and Land Court, as well as State administrative agencies such as the Appellate Tax Board, Civil Service Commission, Commission against Discrimination, Architectural Access Board and the Division of Administrative Law Appeals.
- Assisted in the negotiation a Host Community Agreement for a proposed $1 Billion resort casino development
- Negotiated and drafted a Project Construction Agreement, Funding Agreement and Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Boston, Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, Army Corps of Engineers and the Emerald Necklace Conservancy with respect to a $90 million restoration project for the Muddy River
- Represented the Town of Brookline in negotiations with private developers, planners, architects, engineers, local officials and neighborhood groups on numerous development projects including 2-4 Brookline Place, Fisher Hill Reservoir, St Aidan’s Affordable Housing Project and the former Red Cab site
- Developed a request for proposals and facilitated the implementation for a distributed antenna system in South Brookline
- Successfully represented the Town in a variety of complex public construction disputes including a summary judgment decision dismissing $1 million in claims for additional fees filed by an Architect against the Town and recovering $600,000 for the Town in a design defect claim for a school building project
- Negotiated a Tender Agreement with a Surety on a School Project bringing in over $3 million in additional funding to complete the Project within budget
- Drafted by-laws and special legislation on a variety of topics including legislation to regulate valet parking and authority to enter into a 99-year ground lease of public property
81 Spooner Road, LLC v. Zoning Board of Appeals of Brookline, et. al., 461 Mass. 692 (2012).
After a trial in the Land Court, the Supreme Judicial Court upheld the Land Court decision finding the abutters had standing to bring the zoning enforcement action challenging the issuance of a building permit.
81 Spooner Road, LLC v. Zoning Board of Appeals of Brookline, et. al., 78 Mass.App.Ct. 233 (2010). Obtained a favorable decision upholding the Land Court’s trial and summary judgment rulings affirming the Zoning Board of Appeals’ revocation of a building permit and decision holding that a residential lot was not buildable.
81 Spooner Road, LLC v. Town of Brookline, 452 Mass. 109 (2008).
Successfully defended a challenge to the Town’s Zoning By-Law regulating the bulk and density of single family residential buildings using a maximum gross floor area calculation.
Suffolk University Law School – Juris Doctor, cum laude
Boston College – Bachelor of Arts
Professional Memberships & Community Service:
- Member of the Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, International Municipal Lawyers Association
- Member, Massachusetts Municipal Lawyers Association
- Former Chair, G.L.c.41, §100B Medical Panel
- Former Election Warden, Town of Brookline
- Former Town Meeting Member
- Massachusetts Certified Public Purchasing Official